Don't just sit there. Ride it. Call us today to book a test ride and try our Harley-Davidson® bikes or complete the form below. A member of our team will be in touch to organize your Harley-Davidson® motorcycle test ride experience from your Harley® Dealer in Idaho. Stop by and see why our customers come back time and time again - even ranking us the best in the biz. We can't wait to help!
Motorcycle Buying Tools
Motorcycle Buying Tips
Planning to buy a used Harley-Davidson near Twin Falls, ID? With used bikes, what you see isn’t always what you get. So, how can you be sure that you’re getting a good deal? Before you seal the deal on a pre-owned bike, you just need to know what to look for!
In this guide from Grand Teton Harley-Davidson, we offer our tips on finding high-quality used motorcycles for sale in the Boise, ID area, what to look for when buying a used motorcycle, and how to assess the overall condition and performance components of a used bike—so that you can buy with confidence. Check it out below, and be sure to follow up with our team if you have any fighter questions.
Research Used Motorcycles for Sale Near You
Before we dive into what to look for when buying a used motorcycle, let’s take a step back. If you want to be sure that a used bike is in good condition, you’ll also need to consider where to look! Here’s what you need to know:
- Just because you buy a used motorcycle within your budget doesn’t mean it’s a smart purchase. Private sellers don’t need to verify that a bike isn’t going to require major service or maintenance in the near future.
- Research motorcycle makes, models, and types to be sure that you’re buying a used bike that reflects your preferred riding style. If you’ll be riding mainly on busy roads in Logan, UT, a light and maneuverable model like the Street Glide® is a sensible choice. For long hours on the road, you may want a touring bike with plush seating and room for luggage.
- Once you’ve decided on the right bike type, research specific models. Then, find reviews from multiple sources for each bike.
- Finally, decide where to buy a used motorcycle. You may be able to get a lower price from a private seller, but you’ll also have far fewer options than you would at a dealership.
- That said, many dealerships offer carefully-inspected used bikes priced under 10k. In addition, dealerships offer benefits like in-house financing, warranty, consumer protection, incentives, and more.
How to Assess Used Motorcycle Condition
Especially if you buy a used motorcycle from a private seller, it’s important to check the condition of the bike so that you can be sure that you’re getting your money’s worth. When it comes to mechanical condition, here’s what to look for when buying a used motorcycle:
- Windshield — Properly mounted, no cracks or glazing
- Battery — Starts the engine without strain
- Tires — Plenty of treads, no signs of dry rot
- Wheels — No dents, no wobble when you spin the wheel. Snug, straight spokes
- Fuel tank — Good overall condition, no paint chips
- Fenders and side cover — Few scratches and dents, no broken side-cover tabs
- Seat — No tears, missing trim, or collapsed foam
- Paint and chrome — No repaired body areas, good general condition. Shiny and rust-free chrome
- Saddlebags — No signs of damage on hard bags, no tearing or abrasion on soft bags
How to Check Used Bike Performance Components
Used motorcycles for sale should also be checked for issues with the engine, transmission, and clutch. To assess the transmission, ask to take the bike for a road test or watch the owner run through the gears. Here’s what to look out for:
- Engine Noise — Quiet engine with no knocks, rattles, or rumbles
- Oil — Correct oil level, no leaks
- Clutch — Properly adjusted, does not slip or drag during a road test
- Ignition — The engine starts easily when cold, and warms up within minutes
- Smoke — Move on if you see heavy black or blue smoke
- Transmission — Engages smoothly, never jumps out of gear
- Exhaust — No exterior rust bubbles, no leaks, and no broken hardware at the cylinder head
Grand Teton Harley-Davidson: Your Go-To Dealer for Used Motorcycles for Sale Near Boise, ID
Now is a great time to buy a used motorcycle from a renowned brand like Harley-Davidson. Now that you know what to look for when buying a used motorcycle, start your search with our extensive pre-owned inventory today! Browse our current pre-owned bike specials online, and then visit our showroom in Idaho Falls for more information.
This is an important question to ask if you’re in the market for a pre-owned bike in Boise, ID. However, there’s no single answer that can be applied to all used motorcycles—and what is high mileage for a motorcycle will vary for different types of bike.
For instance, a used sport bike may rack up what’s considered “high” motorcycle mileage with as few as 20,000 to 30,000 miles—while a larger motorcycle that was ridden mostly on the highway may not be considered high-mileage until it has logged 50,000 miles or more. Read on for details on what is the average annual mileage for a motorcycle, and how to find a used bike that you can rely on for many years to come.
What is the Average Annual Mileage for a Motorcycle?
Bikes log fewer miles than cars, so the average annual motorcycle mileage is low by comparison. On average, cars are driven an average of 12,000 miles per year, while motorcycles log an average of about 3,000 miles annually.
How Can I Tell If a High-Mileage Motorcycle is in Good Condition?
Again, “high” motorcycle mileage can mean anything from 20,000 to 50,000 miles depending on the type of bike. Low motorcycle mileage doesn’t always mean good condition, and vice versa. In fact, many bikes with high mileage are an amazing value if they have been properly maintained! How can you tell that a used, high-mileage bike is in good condition? Take these steps at the dealership:
- Check the service records
- Get a full vehicle history report
- Go for a test ride
- Check for corrosion, physical damage, and oil leaks
- Schedule an inspection
How Do I Keep a High-Mileage Motorcycle in Good Condition?
If you’re the owner of a high-mileage bike, there’s no reason you can’t keep it running smoothly for many years yet. Extend the life of your bike by always:
- Following your manufacturer-recommended maintenance schedule
- Periodically checking the air filter
- Checking the final drive
- Using coolant
Find a Quality Used Harley-Davidson® for Sale in Idaho Falls
Why make us your go-to source for used Harley-Davidson® bikes near Twin Falls, ID and Logan, UT? At Grand Teton Harley-Davidson®, we strive to maintain a wide selection of carefully-inspected used motorcycles. Don’t hesitate to contact us with any further questions about motorcycle mileage, Harley-Davidson maintenance schedules, and what to look for when buying a used motorcycle.
If you’ve been dreaming up the perfect bike for years, it can be hard to settle for anything else. Dealerships from Boise, ID to Logan, UT are facing inventory shortages and supply chain slowdowns, and you can expect those issues to result in a smaller selection of bikes. So what are your options when you can’t find “the one” on the lot?
Many buyers aren’t aware that you can pre-order a Harley-Davidson® straight from the factory! When you build your bike with a custom order, Harley® technicians will craft every element according to your specifications.
Going the custom route has advantages that go beyond getting your perfect bike! You won’t end up paying for features you won’t use or getting an unnecessary upgrade to access a single must-have feature. You’ll also be working closely with our staff to build your bike, so you’ll get a clearer sense of what you want.
How to Custom Order a Harley®
To get started, simply drop by our dealership in Idaho Falls and tell our team what you’re looking for. We’ll help you craft a fully-customized machine that looks and rides like nothing else on the roads of Twin Falls, ID. Then, we’ll send the order to the factory—and give you a call when your custom-order Harley® is ready to pick up!
Not sure exactly what you want or how to build your bike? First, decide on the type of motorcycle that best fits your riding style:
- Need something that’s lean and lightweight enough for city riding, with the explosive power you expect from Harley-Davidson®? Sport models are a great place to start.
- For a balanced combination of power, style, and all-day comfort, try a Cruiser.
- Riding cross-country? Start with a Harley-Davidson® Grand American Touring model. These larger bikes offer upgraded suspension, saddlebags, and more amenities.
- If you want long-distance comfort and serious off-road chops, choose an Adventure Touring model.
- 3-wheel Trike bikes offer maximum comfort and cargo space for you and your passenger.
Build Your Bike With Grand Teton Harley-Davidson®
If you have any further questions about how to pre-order your Harley-Davidson®, we’re here to help! Browse available Harley-Davidson® parts and accessories to discover the possibilities of a custom-order Harley® today.
Are you shopping for a motorcycle on a tight budget? If the price of a brand-new model or even a pre-owned model is too high, consider a motorcycle lease. Leasing for motorcycles offers just as many benefits as leasing for cars, including lower payments and more financial flexibility overall. So if you’re interested in a lease for a motorcycle near Boise, ID and Twin Falls, ID, read on to learn more with Grand Teton Harley-Davidson®.
How to Lease a Motorcycle Near Logan, UT
Leasing for motorcycles is a simple process, so we’re here to break down every step of the shopping experience. Here’s what you need to know if you’re considering a motorcycle lease at Grand Teton Harley-Davidson®:
- Budget: First, think broadly about your finances. How large a down payment can you afford? What’s your monthly budget? The bigger your down payment, the lower your monthly payments will be—but don’t overextend your finances.
- Calculations: Next, it’s time to get into specifics. Don’t forget to factor in costs like maintenance and repairs, as well.
- Incentives: Be on the lookout for incentives and offers. These are seasonal incentives, so careful planning can pay off in a big way on your motorcycle lease.
- Restrictions: A motorcycle lease, like a car lease, does carry some restrictions that are worth noting. You’ll need to adhere to the mileage restrictions in your contract and keep your bike up to date on the manufacturer-recommended maintenance.
- Finalizing: You’ve found the perfect bike and you’ve read all the fine print. Now, you’re ready to sign your contract and hit the road!
Credit Score vs. Leasing Eligibility
What if you want to apply for a motorcycle lease, but your credit is less than perfect? Grand Teton Harley-Davidson® can help you find a practical and affordable solution that works for your unique financial situation. While higher credit scores are a definite advantage, leasing is more affordable than buying. That means you’ll need a smaller loan than you would for financing, which makes lenders more likely to approve your application. You can also improve your chances of success with a higher down payment or proof of financial responsibility.
Apply for a Motorcycle Lease at Grand Teton Harley-Davidson®
Still have questions about leasing for motorcycles? Feel free to contact us at Grand Teton Harley-Davidson® to learn more about the process, or visit our dealership in Idaho Falls to start perusing our inventory up close. We’d be happy to help you lease a motorcycle near Ogden, UT today!